Friday, July 25, 2008

Priest Prayers for vesting for Mass:

A friend of mine (ok-I used to babysit him) just became a priest and he shared at mass last week about these optional traditional prayers that some priest say. I thought they were so beautiful I had to share them. I also found a really cool post here.

Of a Celebrant who is a Priest

The Celebrant first says, while washing his hands:
'Give virtue to my hands, O Lord, that being cleansed from all stain I might serve you with purity of mind and body.'


Then while putting on the amice, which he first puts on his head, and then over his shoulders:
'Place upon me, O Lord, the helmet of salvation, that I may overcome the assaults of the devil.'


At the alb:
'Purify me, Lord, and cleanse my heart so that, washed in the Blood of the Lamb, I may enjoy eternal bliss.'


At the cincture:
'Gird me, O Lord, with the girdle of purity, and extinguish in me all evil desires, that the virtue of chastity may abide in me.'


At the maniple: (The maniple is an ornamental vestment in the form of a band, a little over a yard long and from somewhat over two to almost four inches wide, which is placed on the left arm in such manner that it falls in equal length on both sides of the arm.) I have only known one priest who still wears this
'Grant, O Lord, that I may so bear the maniple of weeping and sorrow, that I may receive the reward for my labors with rejoicing.'

At the stole, which he crosses over his breast:
'Restore unto me, O Lord, the stole of immortality, which was lost through the guilt of our first parents: and, although I am unworthy to approach Your sacred Mysteries, nevertheless grant unto me eternal joy.'


At the chasuble:
'O Lord, Who said: My yoke is easy and My burden light: grant that I may bear it well and follow after You with thanksgiving. Amen.'

No comments: