Saturday, July 26, 2008

IMITATION OF CHRIST: meditation of the day...

THE EXAMPLE SET US BY THE HOLY FATHERS (part one)

CONSIDER the lively examples set us by the saints, who possessed the light of true perfection and religion, and you will see how little, how nearly nothing, we do. What, alas, is our life, compared with theirs? The saints and friends of Christ served the Lord in hunger and thirst, in cold and nakedness, in work and fatigue, in vigils and fasts, in prayers and holy meditations, in persecutions and many afflictions. How many and severe were the trials they suffered -- the Apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins, and all the rest who willed to follow in the footsteps of Christ! They hated their lives on earth that they might have life in eternity. (no more complaining for me...at least not for the next 5 min...)

How strict and detached were the lives the holy hermits led in the desert! What long and grave temptations they suffered! How often were they beset by the enemy! What frequent and ardent prayers they offered to God! What rigorous fasts they observed! How great their zeal and their love for spiritual perfection! How brave the fight they waged to master their evil habits! What pure and straightforward purpose they showed toward God! By day they labored and by night they spent themselves in long prayers. Even at work they did not cease from mental prayer. They used all their time profitably; every hour seemed too short for serving God, and in the great sweetness of contemplation, they forgot even their bodily needs.
(I can't even make it to lunch without completely loosing it and resisting the small temptations that I fight!!!)

OK...so after this meditation, I am going to crawl under my bed like the slug that I am...I mean I am going to conquer the day...love my husband...be compassionate to my children...give my teenagers the benefit of the doubt...excercise...not eat any junk...clean my house...and smile all day long...OFF TO CONQUER THE WORLD...

No comments: