Monday, July 14, 2008

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC...

All morning I have been pondering something I thought of at daily mass. At my wonderful parish for years we have been (as well as in our family) praying for vocations to the priesthood and religious life. In that prayer it says to send us vocations.

As I have struggled this year through the vocation choice of my 17 year old, (although I am very proud of him and believe he is doing God's will) I realized the mistakes that I have made all these years!!!

I just wasn't specific enough to God!!! When my son was in my womb and I prayed for Thy Will To Be Done with this precious life; I consecrated him to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary, and then he was baptized as: priest, prophet, and king. Also, what was I thinking to give him examples like St. Dominic Savio, St. Therese of Liuseux, John Bosco, and many other holy saints as friends and examples!!!

In the prayer we say at mass and at home...I should of said, "send us vocations Lord...as long as they are comfortable to me"...It is so clear now that I should of been more specific...how about this: send us vocations to the priesthood...as long as they don't leave the country, have to be over: say...23 years of age...OK, I think that sounds less painful...

Or maybe this... "Lord, please have my children do your will and fulfill their vocation, as long as it means: being a diocesan priest who lives in my town, visits me often, and calls me daily. That sounds better.

How about I keep going Lord...and if they get married, please have them marry the spouse I pick out for them, buy the house next to me, give me many holy grandchildren, want to visit me often, and call me daily. (it is all about me anyway, right?)

Since I already have your attention Lord...how about a husband who never gets upset with me, cleans the house, does the laundry and dishes, makes the bed, never misunderstands me, walks around the house singing my praises. (I don't think it is possible for him to do more than he already does for me)

OK, just a little more since we are on the topic Lord...how about the rest of my kids...I would like holy, smart, healthy, obedient, happy children. Ones who pray always, beg to go to mass and say the rosary, are so smart we never need to do school (and just can play all day), never get sick, say "yes mother dear who I love and adore" always, and never argue or fight.

Then there is me Lord...can I have uninterrupted prayer time each morning, be about 20lbs lighter, not need any sleep, like to clean my house, never yell at my kids, always do what my husband wants, be a great mother to my teenagers, and keep my mouth shut!

Did I forget anything...if so Lord...I am sure you know, and I mean it when I say...Thy will be done...

OK, just kidding Lord...I remember now...It is called picking up our cross; and that is why we need faith!!!

Isn't it funny how we think we can tell God what to do?

I DO MEAN IT (NOT LIKE IT) WHEN I SAY THY WILL BE DONE!!!

No comments: