Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Interesting advice...

It is that time of the year when my phone rings off the hook with people looking for advice!!!

Today I was asked a question concerning a friend who is considering not sending their soon to be 4Th grader and his siblings back to public school. My advice (again take with a grain of salt) was to teach him to be as independent as possible. Reading ALL THE TIME and trying to accomplish whatever curriculum she chooses by himself. I even went as far as to say, "make it too easy at first", I believe it is more important to learn the skill of self dependence, than academics.(at first)

For those who don't HOMESCHOOL: I would say the same about jobs at home...everyone has jobs/responsibilities...start off easy at first!!! Than build up the skill or responsibility as they improve. I am a big believer in challenging our kids academically and in family duties...but, if they have no initiative or drive to start with than that is the skill to build on!!!

As uaual...THY WILL BE DONE!!! +JMJ+

No comments: