Monday, January 11, 2010

HOW THE LADY BUG GOT ITS NAME...




About fifteen years ago I got a call from my mother in love. She was watching Jeopardy on TV and said to me, "Do you know what the Lady Bug is named after?" Since I didn't she shared the story of how the Ladybug was named after OUR LADY!!! We were so excited and instantly were fans of the Ladybug. Two of my daughters had Ladybug birthday parties and our main bathroom is decorated with the Ladybug theme. I love to tell young kids the story too!!!

Found these stories online.

HOW THE LADYBUG GOT ITS NAME:

Legends vary about how the Ladybug came to be named, but the most common (and enduring) is this: In Europe, during the Middle Ages, swarms of insects were destroying the crops. The farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. Soon thereafter the Ladybugs came, devouring the plant-destroying pests and saving the crops! The farmers called these beautiful insects "The Beetles of Our Lady", and - over time - they eventually became popularly known as "Lady Beetles". The red wings were said to represent the Virgin's cloak and the black spots were symbolic of both her joys and her sorrows.

Why are they called ladybugs?

The most popular story of how the ladybug got its name comes from the Middle Ages. In Europe swarms and swarms of insects were ruining crops everywhere. Farmers started praying to the Virgin Mary hoping she could help the crisis.



Soon, ladybugs showed up and started eating all of the insects and helped to protect the crops. The farmers called them Beetles of our Lady, because they believed the Virgin Mary had sent them to help. Eventually the name was reduced to Lady Beetles then Ladybugs. The red shell represented her cloak and the spots were symbols of her joy and sorrows.

Try here.

Go Here too.

THY WILL BE DONE!!! +JMJ+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard this before. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to share this with others.

Amazing the things you can learn from jeopardy.

Sandra

Katie Kidman said...

A Gold Ladybug landed on my Bible when I was reading Revelations Chapter 7. It had seven spots, four of them were shaped like hearts. It stayed on my Bible for seven minutes starring at me and the flew onto my t-shirt, I took a picture of it, it sat on my shirt for another 7 minutes and disappeared. But before it flew away I said "Thank you for the visit, I love you. I had no idea it was Mother Mary's Ladybug😇 Thank you ever so kindly for your post. Blessings from Heaven...