Thursday, August 27, 2009

Why start school before Labor Day?

I was looking for an article I wrote two years ago for our local paper about going to school before Labor day...that year the kids went to school around Aug 17Th!!! I remember practically crying when we were driving to the pool and seeing school buses and kids getting dropped off...what a crime.

I realize that Labor day is late this year...come on, I am due to have the baby that day(of course I am usually 2 weeks late)...so I know what day it is!!! But I feel as if the "school system" is chipping away at our family time...they go later-start earlier. Are they really learning more in school these days? With all the cutbacks around here it's a wonder they are teaching anything. Not to mention the homework they load on parents...come on, some of these kids are doing 2-3 hours of homework a night...that is more school than I do with my elementary kids in a day...I won't even touch on the push families feel towards extra activities like sports, music, scouts, or other club stuff...to people even eat dinner together anymore?...so lay off on families and let them enjoy the limited time they have with each other!!!

Here is an article I wrote last year about Back to school basics if interested...

2 comments:

Laura O in AK said...

I have a cousin that started going 'year-round' when he was in high school. They had the same number of school days as before, but the breaks were spread out. The thought was that they wouldn't have a large chunk of time to backslide on material ~ which I won't disagree over.

However, I do see more of a push to lengthen days or the school year in an effort by educators to teach the students more or have it stick better. It was the hours of work to do each day after school when my son was in 3rd grade that had me make the leap to homeschooling. After we started his education at home I could really see that this easily distracted guy was just unable to get anything done IN school and had to bring it all home. When he is motivated, his work is done (7th grade) in 3 to 4 hours.

And, I'd say that activity overload can happen to any family. This year the boys are doing Scouts (all on the same night and at our church for all of them), a low key co-op with another homeschool family, and not much else for extracurricular. With a baby due in October, I know that I have to keep the focus at home and on the basics.

As for start dates for school, we did start last week so a good 9+ weeks can be done before the new one joins us. Plus, they want to be finished by early June. With November and December most likely a 'break', that's the only way I could work it.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. And the sad thing is that I don't think the children are learning anything more or benefiting by having these extended days. My niece's school went from public to charter this year and they decided to start super early. Which means they ended summer school on 8/13 and started regular session on 8/19. One week off.

By the way, my birthday is on Labor Day this year, and I can't think of a better day to be born. Well I wasn't actually born on Labor day, I was born on a Thursday :) But at least I do get to celebrate it as a national holiday every so often.

Sandra