Friday, August 14, 2009

IMITATION OF CHRIST: meditation of the day:

The Fifty-Second Chapter
A Man Ought Not to Consider Himself Worthy of Consolation, But Rather Deserving of Chastisement
(part two)

The Disciple

What have I done, Lord, that You should confer on me any heavenly comfort? I remember that I have done nothing good, but that I have always been prone to sin and slow to amend. That is true. I cannot deny it. If I said otherwise You would stand against me, and there would be no one to defend me. What have I deserved for my sins except hell and everlasting fire?

In truth, I confess that I am deserving of all scorn and contempt. Neither is it fitting that I should be remembered among Your devoted servants. And although it is hard for me to hear this, yet for truth’s sake I will allege my sins against myself, so that I may more easily deserve to beg Your mercy. What shall I say, guilty as I am and full of all confusion? My tongue can say nothing but this alone: “I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned; have mercy on me and pardon me. Suffer me a little that I may pour out my grief, before I go to that dark land that is covered with the shadow of death.”

My pride wants me to be remembered as a trusted servant, but I hate the suffering that goes with it. Lord help me not to hold anything back from you.

THY WILL BE DONE!!! +JMJ+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinkin' about you! And you really are a trusted servant of God- we can all see it! Hang in there!