Wednesday, March 18, 2009

IMITATION OF CHRIST: Meditation of the day...

IMITATION OF CHRIST: Meditation of the day...
The Forty-Fifth Chapter
All Men Are Not to Be Believed, for It Is Easy to Err in Speech (part three)


I have been taught to my own cost, and I hope it has given me greater caution, not greater folly. “Beware,” they say, “beware and keep to yourself what I tell you!” Then while I keep silent, believing that the matter is secret, he who asks me to be silent cannot remain silent himself, but immediately betrays both me and himself, and goes his way. From tales of this kind and from such careless men protect me, O Lord, lest I fall into their hands and into their ways. Put in my mouth words that are true and steadfast and keep far from me the crafty tongue, because what I am not willing to suffer I ought by all means to shun.

Oh, how good and how peaceful it is to be silent about others, not to believe without discrimination all that is said, not easily to report it further, to reveal oneself to few, always to seek You as the discerner of hearts, and not to be blown away by every wind of words, but to wish that all things, within and beyond us, be done according to the pleasure of Thy will.

How conducive it is for the keeping of heavenly grace to fly the gaze of men, not to seek abroad things which seem to cause admiration, but to follow with utmost diligence those which give fervor and amendment of life! How many have been harmed by having their virtue known and praised too hastily! And how truly profitable it has been when grace remained hidden during this frail life, which is all temptation and warfare!

Wow, I have been trying most of my life to work on my mouth!!! Each night as I do my examination of conscience, I fail at the same one's over and over...I was the kid sent home from Kindergarten with the comments, "talks too much"!!! I thought that was a compliment!!! My husband laughs when I get to the questions like:

Today was I:
a.Moderate and discreet in my speech
b.A lover of silence and restraint
c.contemplative

I just can't seem to grasp those...well tomorrow is another day...maybe this time...baby steps...

THY WILL BE DONE''!!! +JMJ+

No comments: