Wednesday, October 22, 2008

IMITATION OF CHRIST: Meditation of the day...

The Sixth Chapter
The Proving of a True Lover (part three)

Do not believe him or heed him, even though he often sets traps to deceive you. When he suggests evil, unclean things, accuse him. Say to him: "Away, unclean spirit! Shame, miserable creature! You are but filth to bring such things to my ears. Begone, most wretched seducer! You shall have no part in me, for Jesus will be my strength, and you shall be confounded. I would rather die and suffer all torments than consent to you. Be still! Be silent! Though you bring many troubles upon me I will have none of you. The Lord is my light, my salvation. Whom shall I fear? Though armies unite against me, my heart will not fear, for the Lord is my Helper, my Redeemer."

Fight like a good soldier and if you sometimes fall through weakness, rise again with greater strength than before, trusting in My most abundant grace. But beware of vain complacency and pride. For many are led into error through these faults and sometimes fall into almost perpetual blindness. Let the fall of these, who proudly presume on self, be a warning to you and a constant incentive to humility.

When it comes to thoughts of the devil and how he tempts others I turn to St. Michael for help, then on a human level I go to the many stories of St John Baptist Vianney.

This was one I had never heard:


This fact was reported by one of his penitents, a young lady who was a Daughter of Mary. She went to confession to the Curé of Ars. After she knelt, he began to tell her events from her past life.
- Do you remember that you went to a ball on such-and-such occasion?
- Yes, I remember.
- Do you remember that at a certain moment a handsome young man entered the ballroom. He was quite elegant, appeared very upright and danced with several young ladies?
- Yes, I do.
- Do you recall that you had a great desire to dance with him?
- I recall that.
- Do you recollect that you became sad because he didn’t ask you to dance?
- Yes, I do.
- Do you remember that by chance you looked down at his feet and saw a strange blue light coming from them?
- Yes. I remember.

Until now, everything he described to the young lady came from his gift of discernment, because naturally he knew nothing of her past. Then, he made the astonishing revelation:

- That young man was none other than the devil who had taken that shape to tempt several of the young women there. He was unable to approach you because you are a Daughter of Mary protected by her, and you were wearing the Miraculous Medal.



Some other accounts:
The Devil told St. John Vianney, "If there were three such priests as you, my kingdom [in France] would be ruined."

But, the devil did not want St. John Vianney to continue his ministery; some estimate that St. John Vianney saved 25,000 souls. And for this the devil frequently tormented St. John Vianney when he tried to get his 2-3 hours of sleep a night.

St. Michael and St. John Vianney PRAY FOR US!!!

THY WILL BE DONE!!!+JMJ+

1 comment:

Mary @ Cheerios said...

Wow! Thanks for this post---I really needed to read this and meditate on it. Thanks Sam-how powerful temptations are but how MORE powerful is our LORD!! Praise be to God!!! Mary, our mother, pray for us!!!
p.s. I think I will go and get a miraculous medal! I have not worn one in a very long time. thanks for the reminder!
God bless.