Saturday, October 18, 2008

IMITATION OF CHRIST: Meditation of the day...

The Fifth Chapter
The Wonderful Effect of Divine Love (part Four)

The Disciple


Love is swift, sincere, kind, pleasant, and delightful. Love is strong, patient and faithful, prudent, long-suffering, and manly. Love is never self-seeking, for in whatever a person seeks himself there he falls from love. Love is circumspect, humble, and upright. It is neither soft nor light, nor intent upon vain things. It is sober and chaste, firm and quiet, guarded in all the senses. Love is subject and obedient to superiors. It is mean and contemptible in its own eyes, devoted and thankful to God; always trusting and hoping in Him even when He is distasteful to it, for there is no living in love without sorrow. He who is not ready to suffer all things and to stand resigned to the will of the Beloved is not worthy to be called a lover. A lover must embrace willingly all that is difficult and bitter for the sake of the Beloved, and he should not turn away from Him because of adversities.

I had a very wise mentor when I was first married who gave me some very helpful advice about
1 Corinthians 13; she suggested for an examination on my love to others, (my husband) to put my name everywhere that love was. For example: Love is patient...instead put Sam is patient. It may sound silly but it was (and is) a very helpful exercise in my life!!! I fail miserably at it...but, it keeps me on my knees praying for God's mercy and help!!!

So I thought I would try it with this passage from Imitation of Christ for my meditation today and maybe my new nightly exam.

SAM IS: (FEEL FREE TO COPY AND USE WITH YOUR NAME...)
Swift
Sincere
Kind
Pleasant
Delightful
Strong
Patient
Faithful
Prudent
Long-suffering- enduring injury, trouble, or provocation long and patiently
Never self-seeking
Circumspect- watchful and discreet; cautious; prudent
Humble
Upright
Sober and chaste
Firm and quiet
Guarded in all the senses
Subject and obedient to superiors
Mean and contemptible in its own eyes- deserving of or held in contempt; despicable
Devoted and thankful to God
Trusting and hoping in Him


Thomas a Kempis says it so well:
He who is not ready to suffer all things and to stand resigned to the will of the Beloved is not worthy to be called a lover. A lover must embrace willingly all that is difficult and bitter for the sake of the Beloved, and he should not turn away from Him because of adversities.

This is alot to ponder on a Saturday morning...I think I will use it all weekend and than some...

THY WILL BE DONE!!!+JMJ+



No comments: