Friday, August 22, 2008

IMITATION OF CHRIST: Meditation of the day...

ZEAL IN AMENDING OUR LIVES (PART three)

If there were nothing else to do but praise the Lord God with all your heart and voice, if you had never to eat, or drink, or sleep, but could praise God always and occupy yourself solely with spiritual pursuits, how much happier you would be than you are now, a slave to every necessity of the body! Would that there were no such needs, but only the spiritual refreshments of the soul which, sad to say, we taste too seldom! (I am like Mary...who would love to do this all day...although my state in life calls me to be like Martha)

When a man reaches a point where he seeks no solace from any creature, then he begins to relish God perfectly. Then also he will be content no matter what may happen to him. He will neither rejoice over great things nor grieve over small ones, but will place himself entirely and confidently in the hands of God, Who for him is all in all, to Whom nothing ever perishes or dies, for Whom all things live, and Whom they serve as He desires.

Always remember your end and do not forget that lost time never returns. Without care and diligence you will never acquire virtue. When you begin to grow lukewarm, you are falling into the beginning of evil; but if you give yourself to fervor, you will find peace and will experience less hardship because of God's grace and the love of virtue.

A fervent and diligent man is ready for all things. It is greater work to resist vices and passions than to sweat in physical toil. He who does not overcome small faults, shall fall little by little into greater ones.


If you have spent the day profitably, you will always be happy at eventide. Watch over yourself, arouse yourself, warn yourself, and regardless of what becomes of others, do not neglect yourself. The more violence (saying no to your vices) you do to yourself, the more progress you will make.


FERVOR AND DILIGENT...FERVOR AND DILIGENT...I THINK I CAN...I THINK I CAN...FERVOR AND DILIGENT...FERVOR AND DILIGENT...I THINK I CAN...I THINK I CAN!!! What is God asking you to do?

No comments: