Thursday, June 18, 2009

DO IT ANYWAY...

This amazing poem is very transforming...The version found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

-this version is credited to Mother Teresa


For the original by Kent Keith look here...

It reminds me of my all time favorite (well-life changing) prayer:

+Litany of Humility+

His Emience Cardinal Merry delVal was accustomed to recite daily after he celebrated the Holy Mass

O Jesus meek and humble of heart, hear me

From the desire of being esteemed.........Deliver Me Jesus

From the desire of being loved.............Deliver me Jesus

From the desire of being extolled ..........Deliver me Jesus

From the desire of being honored..............Deliver me Jesus

From the desire of being praised......... Deliver me Jesus

From the desire of being preferred.........Deliver me Jesus

From the desire of being consulted...........Deliver me Jesus

From the desire of being approved.............Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being humiliated.........Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being despised............Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of suffering rebukes..............Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being calumniated...........Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being forgotten................ Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being ridiculed..............Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being wronged............Deliver me Jesus

From the fear of being suspected...........Deliver me Jesus

That others may be loved more than I..........Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it

That others may be esteemed more than I ................Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it

That in the opinion of the world others may increase and I may decrease..............Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it

That others may be chosen and I set aside............Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it

That others may be praised and I unnoticed............Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it

That others may become holier than I, provided that I may became as holy as I should.......................Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.


+amen and amen

Imprimatur James A McNulty Bishop of Paterson NJ


THY WILL BE DONE!!! +JMJ+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know God always answers the loh fast- like while you are still mouthing the syllables- in fact I think there ought to be a warning label on that prayer- God moves so fast you might think lightening is striking or something...as you receive the abundant gift of humillity...