Tuesday, March 30, 2021

How to save money from a Debt-free family of 16

 

How to save money from a Debt-free family of 16

 

Let me share what I call my S.A.M. hack. Why SAM? Well, it has been my nickname since I was twelve weeks old. My four older brothers thought I looked like a boy, and since my brothers could do no wrong in my eyes, it stuck. Unfortunately, my beautiful birth name Cecilia Ann did not. I tried to make up for that by naming my tenth child, the fifth girl, Cecilia. Even when I try to be a mature catholic woman and write Cecilia on my name tag on events, those who know me say, “nice try! You are a SAM through and through!”

 

I could go on and on about S.A.M. Hacks. Let me give you an idea of where I am going with this. With my hacks, I can promise you if you follow some of them, you will save money. Maybe not millions, but it all starts with baby steps.

 

 

Let us start with S. S is for words like save, simplify, self-control, sales, sacrifice, suffer, and then some more.

 

“A” stands for things like asking for help, being assertive, appreciating, and abundance. These are tactics I use daily in my life.

 

The last letter is M. “M” is a good one, make a plan, minimize, make do, motivate, meditate, and Mother Mary.

 

I have used these tricks to help my husband and I live debt-free, pay off our house, and plan to retire early.

 

Some may only be able to pick one. I would suggest using what works for your family and your state in life.

For example, “S” for save. If you have a bad habit like going through the drive thru every Tuesday after soccer practice, remember to pack snacks. Boom! Ten dollars saved per week. If you have kids like mine who go to wash their hands in the kitchen sink and grab the roll of paper towels like they are streamers at a birthday party, then stop buying them or hide them until they learn how to use them sparingly. We have a box of rags under the sink. They are used daily…reminder to self…” don’t cry over spilt milk!” Check your online credit cards for monthly payments. You may be paying for a subscription or membership you did not realize you were still paying monthly fees, or you no longer need.

How about ”A”, asking for help? My superpower is being a spoiled brat. Just ask my eight older siblings. Or am I just persistent, a nag, annoying, stubborn, tenacious, and needy? Oh yes, I am all those things. God bless my dear husband and friends. Asking for help is not a dreadful thing. As I have said often, asking for help is giving another person the grace of service. I used to be very much in need of help, socks to match, kids to be read to, milk needed at the grocery store, someone to drive my kids, the list can go on and on. Now that I am     not pregnant and nursing, ALL.THE.TIME. I do not need as much help. It is my turn to offer to help, match some socks, read to others, grab some milk at the store, and drive other kids. It is my pleasure. 

I tell my kids you are not spoiled if you appreciate. Another a word I love. Writing a thank you note, texting a photo of you using the item given, or just a call to say, “hey, thanks again for picking that up for me!” Remember the leper who came back to thank Jesus. Were there not nine others??? Do not be the nine.  Again, these suggestions do not work for everyone.

 My go to is what is best for your family. So, when I say A is for Abundance I mean buying extra. This only works if you have a big freezer, a spot in your house for a gift basket or closet or can handle extra junk in your house and the chaos it may cause in your mind. You know who you are. I have a go to cabinet with baskets labeled. Frames, candles, girl, boy, baby, grandchildren on them. When I find a good deal, or I hit the after-holiday clearance bin I fill up with the stuff I know I will use. White fancy candles are great for a friend's birthday, anything with unicorns is perfect for my granddaughters, a baby bib or blanket are perfect when you are delivering a meal to a new momma, so I grab some when they are on a super sale. At the end of the year, I donate a basket with all the extras. Food, there was a time when I could not keep up with all the food my kids ate. Then something sad happened, my three college boys moved out and leftovers were not eaten, I cooked too much for meals, so my husband and I tried to scale back for the six small eaters at home. We now adopted about five widowers that get little packages weekly. I cannot stand to waste anything, so this helps me from ever throwing out food.

 


Make a plan is essential for any family, with food, life, or just plain get through the day. I hope I am not the only crazy mom who has showed up at the doctor and the receptionist says, “your appointment is tomorrow, not today.”  Minimize, even my clutter free friends find it necessary to minimize, I am so bad at this because I like my junk, but I still fine time to clear out when I can.  (like having guests over) My mommy taught me the pure skill of making do or offer it up as some of us say. Do not like your sneakers, make do until your birthday.  Want a new car? Make do with this one until it is unfixable.  How about getting motivated? This may be part of your money spending plan. Make a note or sign or something that says when we save $400, we can put a down payment on that vacation, or that fun day trip. I have learned the hard way about missing my time to meditate. There is a saying, “if your too busy to pray than pray longer.” A priest friend of mine says, “don’t tell me you forgot to pray today, did you forget to eat today?” Especially mommas need some quiet time. I would stick my babies in the bathtub and say the rosary or read while sitting next the them while they were content while splashing around. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t call on Mother Mary for her intercession and example. Our Lady Undoes of Knots is my new go to. She does not miss a beat when I am in a predicament

I hope you find a nugget or two in this little SAM hack. I know it is hard but as Catholic Mommas we can use this suffering to bring our souls and the souls of our family to heaven. So, offer it up!                                                                                                                                                                        



+JMJ+ Thy will be done!!!

No comments: